Riverdale Press: Lehman’s Generoso is Cuba-bound

April 15, 2016 9:48 am Athletics, In the News
By Sean Brennan

Lehman College forward Juliana Generoso is going on a CUNY trip to Cuba.

Juliana Generoso’s Lehman College women’s soccer team didn’t quite achieve its goal of being the last team standing in the City University of New York Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) this past season when the Lightning lost in the conference tournament championship game.

But she will get to achieve another “first” of sorts when Generoso joins a group of other CUNYAC student-athletes who will be embarking on CUNY’s Goodwill Tour to Cuba later this month, making her one of the first Americans to visit the Caribbean island nation in over 50 years.

As you might expect Generoso is elated at her opportunity to be part of this historic trip.

“Absolutely. I definitely do feel fortunate because I’m the only athlete from my school going,” Generoso said. “I’m very grateful that I got picked for this trip.”

One student athlete from each of CUNY’s four-year and community college campuses was selected to join the Goodwill Tour and Generoso was stunned when she was informed that she would be Lehman College’s lone representative.

“My coach [Casey Melilli] just asked me if I’d be interested in going so I just said yeah,” said Generoso, who was second on Lehman this year with 13 goals and 31 points this past season. “The trip was supposed to originally be around Christmas break and we were going to be there over New Year’s as well. But then it got switched to Spring Break. When my coach told me I was going I was thrilled. I’m just so excited to be part of this.”

As you might expect, Generoso is the target of some playful jealousy among her friends and teammates at school.

“Yeah, they’re all wondering why I got picked and I said, ‘Well, I got good grades so I get to go,’” Generoso said laughing.

The recent easing of tensions and travel restrictions between the United States and Cuba opened the door for CUNY to make Cuba this year’s destination for its’ Goodwill Tour. In recent years the tour has seen CUNY athletes travel to such places as Ecuador, the Dominican Republic, Argentina, South Africa and Italy. But because Cuba has been off limits to Americans for over half a century, this year’s Goodwill Tour holds a higher level of excitement for the participants.

Read more at the RiverdalePress.com