Making the Rent: Grant Eases the Burden of NYC Housing Costs for Students at Lehman College

March 11, 2014 2:58 pm Financial Aid, Student Affairs, Students

Living in New York City is expensive.

For Lehman College students trying make ends meet, financial pressures can quickly mount – tuition, books, housing, transportation, groceries, and more. This stress is due partly to the astronomical cost of housing in the city, among the highest in the nation. The average rent in NYC is more than $3,000 per month.

To ease the housing burden on students, Lehman College has been awarded a grant by the LCU Fund for Women’s Education. For the second year in a row, the $75,000 award will assist promising women students studying for careers in education, health care, social work, criminal justice, public administration, international development, and the arts.

During the fall of 2013, the dollars from LCU Fund assisted 16 students, with awards ranging from $1,480 to $2,400 per person. An additional 16 grants are to be awarded for the spring of 2014.

“A comfortable, welcoming environment is essential for a student who is trying to learn, whether on campus or at home,” says José Magdaleno, Vice President for Student Affairs. “With the many pressures students face, we are grateful to LCU Fund for helping the College ease some of that pressure for deserving students.”

The grant is primarily based on financial need related to housing. Undergraduate women who are enrolled full-time for the academic year – and earn less than $30,000 a year – are eligible to apply. They must have earned at least 12 credits at Lehman College, maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0, and be enrolled in an eligible program.

Recipients of the funds are grateful for the assistance, as demonstrated by many letters of thanks:

“The challenges that I face as a young, single parent are enormous, but my vision for the future remains quite clear… This grant alleviates a little of my load and allows me to further focus my attention on my studies.”

“I was on the verge of putting my education on hold again until I received an email about the LCU housing grant. Had it not been for your generosity, graduating from college would have remained a dream for me.”

“Because of your generous support, I am now able to fixate my attention on getting my bachelor’s degree in nursing. Your donation has covered almost three months of my rent and consequently I have adjusted my attention and energy to my education.”

Students may apply for the assistance through the Office of Student Affairs; they should be prepared to demonstrate their financial need.

The LCU Fund for Women’s Education is a private, secular, non-profit organization with more than 150 years of providing housing support for women pursuing their education. Lehman College is one of thirteen New York City institutions to receive the grant funding in 2013 – 2014, and one of four City University of New York colleges.