Summer’s Here…And the Time is Right for a BBQ!

June 26, 2013 11:44 am Uncategorized

The raffle winners pose with Alice Jenkins (center) at Lehman College's annual BBQ

The 2013 Lehman College Annual BBQ, hosted by the Office of the Vice President for Administration and Finance, was held June 20, bringing faculty and staff together for food, fun, and camaraderie. After being postponed due to the rains that covered the New York area for much of June, the campus was alight with sun. Alice Jenkins coordinated the entire event.

Besides summer fare like hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, salad and watermelon, staff members got down to the sounds of a deejay, played volleyball, and competed for raffle prizes such as Yankees and Mets tickets; a $100 gift card from Target; free memberships to the APEX; free passes to see shows at the Lehman College Performing Arts Center; gift certificates to Giovanni Restaurant (located at 579 Grand Concourse); and tickets to the Bronx Zoo. Other Bronx contributors include KBBQ Restaurant (located at 199 West Kingsbridge Road) and Loeser’s “Hebrew National” Deli (on 214 West 231st Street).

Lehman staff enjoy the summer fare at the BBQ.

But the day’s big winner was Allawesha Carmichael who took home $325 in cash. “I was surprised because it was about to end and I was like my tickets are ‘losers’ tickets and then they called my number,” she recalls with a laugh. “This was my first BBQ. I didn’t make it to last year’s. But I’ll be going next year.”