Meet the Class of 2012: Speech Grad Learns the True Value of Service

June 21, 2012 2:43 pm Lehman Scholars Program, School of Arts and Humanities, Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences Dept, Study Abroad
Estefania Moreno

Estefania Moreno

This is the last in a series of profiles of this year’s graduating class.

The opportunity for community service was one of the things that Speech-Language Pathology graduate Estefania Moreno loved about her Lehman College experience. When the College community came together to help her during her time of need, it made her connection to Lehman that much stronger.

“My father has been battling cancer since I was eight,” says the member of the Lehman Scholars Program, who graduated summa cum laude this spring. “It hit me the hardest this past fall, when his doctors told us that chemo would no longer work and that he needed a bone marrow transplant. To top it off, we found out that no one in our family or in the bone marrow donor system was compatible with him.” With the exception of Moreno, who was born and raised in the Bronx, her entire family hails from Spain.

That’s when Moreno turned to Lehman LIFE. Since sophomore year, she’d worked closely with the organization on community service projects, like helping out in a food pantry for the homeless in Cincinnati and with rebuilding homes for victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

Together with the Office of Community Service and Service Learning, Moreno organized a “Be the Match” bone marrow drive in the College’s cafeteria, where close to 200 people signed up. “The support I received from campus was overwhelming, and I will be forever grateful,” she said.

Moreno has successfully balanced her love of volunteerism with academic achievement. She was the recipient of the Elias Karmon Scholarship, the Bronx CUNY Scholarship and the Lehman College Foundation Scholarship. She received departmental honors in her major, speech-language pathology, and is also part of the President’s Service Corps, which leads activities that raise school spirit, help the community and cultivate other student leaders.

While at Lehman, Moreno took advantage of study-abroad opportunities to satisfy her love of travel and exploration. Last semester, she traveled to Florence, Italy, for a digital photography course. “I felt as if I were one of the luckiest people, because I only lived two blocks away from The Duomo,” she said. “The cathedral never ceased to amaze me. I would stop and stare at it every time I walked by!

“By studying abroad, I witnessed some of the world’s most beautiful cities, ate delicious food, took a great art class, solidified friendships and even got to go skydiving and zip lining, which all helped me learn to appreciate the opportunities I am given, as well as value the fleeting moments we take for granted so often in our lives.”

Moreno plans to apply for her master’s in speech-language pathology, with a bilingual extension, at Lehman this fall. She’s currently visiting Costa Rica with a fellow graduate and will travel to Spain to perform with a dance troupe.